Re: Secure data storage, online and off; was: Re:How Do I Recover my old stuff

Subject: Re: Secure data storage, online and off; was: Re:How Do I Recover my old stuff
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 08:04:09 -0700

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 2:22 AM, David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Newegg is showing a Dlink NAS with two drive bays but without drives
> (you use your own) for less than $100. Among other things, it allows
> connection via FTP over the Internet, so you can access your files
> from anywhere you have a connection.

More one NAS, I first bought a Dlink NAS but it froze after 20 minutes of
backing up. My friend recommended the Synology line of products to his
clients, so on the basis of this recommendation I upgraded to the Synology
DS207+ and I've been >2 years happy. Synology produces an entire line of NAS
with web-based management applications. Depending on your needs, the device
can be set up to back up files, host your music and video files, catalog a
photo album, or run a low traffic web site. I wouldn't expose my site to the
outside world, but I recently installed MediaWiki without a hitch, to test
its capabilities.

I also use the Linux console occasionally, to download remote files through
wget right on the device. After I set the command to run in background mode,
I can shut off my computer and the task completes by itself. Sadly,
processes to copy files to and from external drives attached to the device
don't run as fast. I've logged a complaint about that. However, its network
speed is what you'd expect from Gigabit Ethernet.

After the recent news of break-in thefts in the area, I'm looking into
offline storage to double back up my backups. Other services, some that
provide more invisible backup support, features, are:
* Mozy http://www.mozy.com/
* iDrive http://www.idrive.com/
* Carbonite http://www.carbonite.com/

/*me big Synology fan.

Synology has a program called Data Replicator that works in both scheduled
and Sync mode. On the Mac, though, Apple Time Machine is amazing.

Cheers,

--
Tony Chung: Creative Communications
Cell: +1-604-710-5164