RE: Doc version control - in-house

Subject: RE: Doc version control - in-house
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 14:40:01 -0400

Gene Kim-Eng [mailto:techwr -at- genek -dot- com] intoned:

> If you have the Agile PLM suite, you already have everything
> you asked about.

OK, so it's probably something that will be rolled out
over a period of years, then. :-)

The advantage of doing the specification and design
process management by 'hand' is that we don't have
an existing 'system' that must be laboriously converted,
run side-by-side for several months (driving everybody
crazy), and then finally gracefully retired when the
new system becomes the only system.

Contrast that with Configuration Management and ERP,
where we had things like Navision, Siebold[sp?], and
others, and a dozens of people put in months of overtime
getting the content and the processes switched over to Oracle.

My only contact with the old system was to occasionally
look up BoMs or to request/reserve new part numbers for my docs.
When the conversion project began, I stopped doing even that,
and funnelled all requests through our overworked local
CM person (as did everybody else) so that we would not be
tinkering with the system while conversion was happening.

My only contact with Oracle is that I no longer write up
purchase requests when I need new hardware or software.
I just send an e-mail to my manager, who then logs in
to create a PR in Oracle. So, _no_ contact by me.

My only contact with "Agile" is that I've heard it
mentioned a half dozen times and had to inquire if
it was something different than the "agile" software
development model - it is. Confusion reigned when it
turned out the PTB are doing a trial of agile programming
on a project (among all our other, old-style SW projects
that continue in the waterfall model).

More and more the words "which 'agile' do you mean?" are
heard in the halls. :-)

So, Gene, you have experience with Agile PLM?
Does everybody who ever breathes on a project document
need an expensive license to do so?

- K

or disclosing it.

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -