Re: A whole "nother" issue

Subject: Re: A whole "nother" issue
From: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 9:18:23 -0500

Of course "another" is correct, but "a whole nother" is an example of a colloquial infix. It's probably related to "abso-blooming-lutely" (substitute your own choice for "blooming").

The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expletive_infixation contains some examples not quotable here, but misses the boat on unbe-euphemizin'-believable, where the "be" is properly doubled, and where (of course) the euphemism is replaced with the actual expletive.

--Peter Neilson

---- Rochelle McAndrews <rmcandrews -at- csiu -dot- org> wrote:
> As far as changing the rules of English usage and poor usage being a
> drag on the profession, please tell me:
> Where can I find a definition for the word "nother"?!
> As used in: "...a whole nother issue."
> Why do so many people separate the "a" from the "nother"? This is a
> special pet peeve of mine. I even heard a network newscaster say it a
> few weeks ago.
> Wouldn't more correct usage be: "another whole issue" or "a whole
> separate issue"?

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -