Re: Online Help question

Subject: Re: Online Help question
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Melissa Nelson <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 11:30:56 -0400

> Anyhow...they are looking at starting an Online Help system, or at least a series of FAQs that can be searched. I suggested using RoboHelp or FLARE for producing the content, I have experience with RoboHelp and Help and Manual but not FLARE. Is FLARE better than either RoboHelp or Help and Manual? I know it seems to be the most popular lately, but is it really any better?

The feature sets are all very similar. It really depends on your needs
based on other tools you use or may need to use. But as far as HATs
go, I consider RH and Flare to be pretty much equals. One may do
something a bit better than the other, but in the grand general scheme
they're equals.

> Also, I have produced the content for Online Help and then passed it off to developers, so when they asked me in the meeting what happens with the content after I produced it, my only reply was "I do not know..I send it to developers!" I kind of need a better answer if I am actually going to get this system..and it is really needed! Does anyone on here know of a great answer for what steps Online Help goes through from producing it in an HAT to actually being able to access it when you click a Help button?

Can't answer not knowing what the need is. If it's just a help button
that launches the Help at the welcome topic, it's a basic open event
from the application. If it's context-sensitive, then the developers
create mapIDs that both you and they use to map specific calls from
the application to specific topics in the Help.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Available for contract and full time opportunities.

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -