Seapine Surround for User Documentation Source Control

Subject: Seapine Surround for User Documentation Source Control
From: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Whirlers <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Techshoret <techshoret -at- yahoogroups -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 22:03:05 +0300

Hi,

I am working for a software company. I would like to organized the
documentation and maintain it in a source control tool. We have both Seapine
Surround and Microsoft SharePoint.

Part of our documentation is maintained in MS Word, the other part is
maintained in Author-it with Word and PDF as outputs. At some point, we will
also have HTMLs.

R&D wants the product documentation in Surround under the same tree as the
code, per version. This allows them to take snapshots. I have no problem
with that but I would like my PDFs and HTMLs together with my final (GA)
release but they do not want outputs in there, claiming that the release is
a different process, which means that I will have to store the PDFs and
HTMLs elsewhere.

They also want the rest of the company documentation (for example special
projects) to be maintained in another system (SharePoint) since it is not
product-related.
I was hoping to centralize all the documentation but I see that this is
getting very complicated.

I would like to know if any of you has used Seapine Surround for source
control. I am just wondering if Surround is the right tool for documentation
maintenance.
I also wonder how software companies are managing their documentation.

Your feedback is much appreciated,

Many thanks,

Sylvia

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -