FrameMaker paths to imported images...

Subject: FrameMaker paths to imported images...
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 15:05:42 -0700

Hello, Techwr-l-ers,

I am wondering if anyone can explain the ins-and-outs of how Frame manages paths to imported images? Or rather, is there a way to control it? (I've figured out what it does, and know what to be on the lookout for, so I'm not having any actual production issues. But it's been a bit cumbersome, and I'd like to know if there's anything to do about it.)

I have looked at the FrameMaker help files (version 7.2, but I don't think the version matters here; it's been consistent for at least the several versions I've worked with), but they don't seem to answer my questions.

<Sorry this is a long description, but I don't know how else to explain it enough to get to the point of my question. So most of you can just click delete now :-) >

So here's the scenario: I've got my templates in a Template directory, which contains an images directory with the common images (logos, alert icons, etc.) In my Frame templates, I import the images by reference, and point it to the Template\images directory. No problem.

But when I work on Doc_A, in a directory at the same level as the Template directory, and with a parallel images directory structure that contains both the common images and doc-specific images, Frame keeps wanting to find all the images in the original Template directory.

And if I reset them to the Doc_A\images directory, but then import master pages from the template in the Template directory (because I've changed the page layouts), Frame of course again wants to find the images in the Templates directory. That's pretty logical, and I don't really have any issues with that.

But... of course I have more than one doc: Doc_B, Doc_C, etc. And here's where I'm surprised at what Frame does: if I open Doc_A, reset the images to the Doc_A\images folder, and then open Doc_B, Frame automatically wants to use the Doc_A folder for Doc_B's images!

I've been working around this by closing Doc_A, renaming (temporarily) the Doc_A directory to Doc_A_sav, and then opening Doc_B. Because there's no longer a Doc_A dir, Frame will say that it can't find the images, and I can tell it to use the ones in the Doc_B\images folder.

So, why does Frame remember the most recently used path for images, is there a way to tell it not to do that, and (most desirable), is there a way to make it look for relative paths (I always want it to use an images subdirectory under where the .fm files are)?

TIA,
-Monique

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -