Re: InDesign versus FrameMaker (versus Word)

Subject: Re: InDesign versus FrameMaker (versus Word)
From: Donna McManus <donna -dot- mcmanus -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 12:16:26 -0400

Again, the answer is "it depends." I do believe it will vary from agency to
agency. I believe others may have another situation, so there is no "one
size fits all" answer to this.

Deliverables for me to the military can be Word, PDF, or occasionally Excel
or PowerPoint.

However, for product internally it can be done any way (I work for a
contractor, and have several times prior to this job for military
contractors or directly for the state of Ohio).

In these instances, I may have multiple authors. So in this capacity, I am
primarily editor and and coordinator/project manager. This requires
compatability, and there would be no way I could get an international team
all to use anything other than Word. The training and purchase costs would
be prohibitive.

If I produce documentation for product that goes to multiple
customers/clients, I typically use Robo and generate to either HTML or PDF.
I can likewise produce in FrameMaker to produce PDF/print. But in these
instances, I am the only author.

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Pinkham, Jim <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>wrote:

> Two more questions:
>
> 1. PDF is the "deliverable" for Donna. But what programs are used to
> create the files that become PDFs? (My hunch is that Word is not the
> sole or even necessarily the major "page-design application" (I'm using
> the term **very** loosely to include Word) for government agencies).
> 2. Is there really a one-size-fits-all for our government or might it
> vary significantly from agency to agency?

Donna M. McManus
Technical Writer, DSCI
Volunteer STC TE Sig, Membership Manager/Communications Coordinator
donna -dot- mcmanus -at- gmail -dot- com
Skype: ds_donna_mcmanus
www.kuschwantz.wordpress.com