Re: Page layout resources

Subject: Re: Page layout resources
From: cjcbrown -at- comcast -dot- net
To: Viv Crawford <viv_crawford -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:52:53 +0000 (UTC)

Any good books I read are on the basics of graphic design for print - plusÂwhat I would do in your shoes is find the flash docs of the competitors, analyze the design elements, and make yours as good as but different.

Word is not the best tool for marcom because of funky layout issues but I bet you know that so oh well.

Being facetious - when we have gotten Word templates from professional graphic designers who are concerned with flash appearance and do not care how it interacts with reading the words, here are the design elements:

- Do use expensive weirdo new fonts that no one else uses, that you have to pay for, that looks flash. Do not be concerned with readability.

- Do have 3 font choices: one for headings (san serif), one for body (serif and can be mildly serif), and one for nifty emphasis for sidebars and such.

- Do choose 3 harmonizing colors. Use these for heading font color, background and border colors for pictures, sidebars, and footer decor.

- Do use unbalanced or staggered 3 columns or unbalanced 2 columns (narrow, wide). Avoid like the plague one-column or equal 2-column layouts. Do not be concerned that the eye doesn't know how to follow the reading pattern on the page.

- Be sure to have some text and graphics behind other text and graphics, off-center. This adds movement and interest and will drive you nuts selecting elements when editing.

Connie