Calling help from a python command line

Subject: Calling help from a python command line
From: Heather Duggan <hdugganster -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 08:13:10 -0700

I seem to have a pent up store of questions. :)

I'm writing help files for commands which can either be accessed from an
application or from a python command line. We're using .chm files for the
application help, but we're somewhat stumped about providing help from the
python command line. Although it's possible to bring up the .chm file from
the command line, bringing up the *specific* help topic is quite difficult
(mainly because the search function is broken from the command line, so the
programmer would have to know an exact topic name or index entry to locate a
topic.)

Are we going about this the wrong way? We're not at all wed to using .chm
files. We just want the programmers to be able to get help on a command from
the python command line, and we want to maintain that command-line help in
the same way we maintain the rest of our help (i.e., from within a
single-sourcing authoring tool.)

Thanks,

Heather

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -