Re: Unsubstantiated and/or false allegations (was RE: Nobody reviewed the manuals)

Subject: Re: Unsubstantiated and/or false allegations (was RE: Nobody reviewed the manuals)
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:56:43 -0700 (PDT)

I recall hearing an interview on the radio several weeks ago where an employee of the operating company described a meeting on the rig also attended by what he called "the company man"; he later said that meant a "BP representative" who had total authority to make things happen the way BP wanted.

In the interview, the first guy describes a drilling procedure being discussed and how the BP rep said that no, and that the procedure would be done differently. The first guy described how the BP procedure was recognized as hazardous by the rig workers and how a rather loud argument ensued, but with BP getting its way in the end.

I just don't remember if the contested procedure was for actually capping or drilling, but in any case, BP -- which pays the bills -- was said to act with great disregard for people and safe procedures (at least by those who worked the rig).

Sorry I can't be more specific.

-- Ken in Atlanta