RE: My Word 2007 cross-references are flippin' out: SOLUTION

Subject: RE: My Word 2007 cross-references are flippin' out: SOLUTION
From: "Mark Filiatreau" <mfiliatreau -at- psi-it -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:21:09 -0400

Thanks to list member Jessica Weissman, I found a solution that works
for me:

The problem is with Word's Track Changes feature, which I was using. MS
Word can't handle having Track Changes on and cross-references on (or at
least cross references to figure captions and their automatic
numbering). I turned off Track Changes, accepted all changes, saved the
document, re-opened it, updated all fields, and wa-la, cross-reference
fields are now correct. Some of them are hyperlinks, which I don't
need, but that's a separate problem.

If you have a similar situation and cannot accept all changes, Jessica
Weissman also found this possible solution:

She wrote to me:

###

Here's a macro I found on the Web that accepts changes in fields (only).
I don't have time to test it, but it looks correct to me (and not
destructive)

- Jessica

Sub AcceptTrackedFields()

Dim oRange As Word.Range ' All Range objects - includes ranges in the
body, headers, footers & shapes Dim Fld As Field ' Field Object With
ActiveDocument ' Loop through all range objects and accept tracked
changes on fields For Each oRange In .StoryRanges Do For Each Fld In
oRange.Fields Fld.Select Selection.Range.Revisions.AcceptAll

Next

Set oRange = oRange.NextStoryRange

Loop Until oRange Is Nothing

Next

End With

End Sub

Her researches also found that if my solution above doesn't work, trying
saving as RTF, opening as an RTF, and saving as a word doc might work in
some cases.

--Mark F.

ManTech International at

Pyramid Systems, Inc.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/