RE: The Top 10 Best Technical Documentation Sites of 2010

Subject: RE: The Top 10 Best Technical Documentation Sites of 2010
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 14:43:35 -0400

Elegant, maybe, but I think that misses the point.

When I see a posting from someone whose name I do not recognize (sorry, Punit...), providing a URI from a link-shortening service with no further information about what site or even what domain that the link will redirect to, I can guarantee you that I will never click the link. Following an anonymized link from an unrecognized source is just asking for trouble even if you have all sorts of anti-malware tools installed on your system. Why go looking for trouble?

-Fred Ridder

> 'www.foobar.com' is simply more elegant than
> 'http://www.fo/ob/ar/06/2010.htm'. It's as much about the horrid and
> rather distracting parsing of the url as plain old 'length'.
>
> On 01/07/10 12:57, Mike Stockman wrote:
> > On Jul 1, 2010, at 7:41 AM, punit shrivastava wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Guyz,
> >> While surfing came across this information. May be some of you might be
> >> interested in knowing this.
> >>
> >> http://ht.ly/235M1
> >>
> > For those who are wondering where the link leads, it goes to<http://www.mindtouch.com/blog/2010/06/23/the-top-10-best-technical-documentation-sites-of-2010/>. It ends up being something of an ad for Mindtouch (paraphrasing: most of those sites don't use our product, but you should!), but contains some information that people may find useful.
> >
> > But this brings up another question: why do people use URL shorteners when space is *not* short? I can see shortening URLs when all you have is 140 characters, but otherwise, what's the point (outside of hiding the destination of the link)? I readily admit I may be missing something...

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/