Possibly malicious links; was: Re: The Top 10 Best Technical Documentation Sites of 2010

Subject: Possibly malicious links; was: Re: The Top 10 Best Technical Documentation Sites of 2010
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Dana Worley <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 09:07:10 +0300

Dana,

Given that there is presently a rash of hijacked contact lists, in
which malicious code links are being emailed to mail lists in the
stolen contact lists, it could well be that your assumption is indeed
at least a little "silly".

I have seen this from members of half a dozen mail lists I am on
during the last week, and from individuals' accounts as well from at
least a dozen more.

So no, it is not prudent to trust links in emails even if they are on
moderated lists like this one. After all, when a list member is
regularly posting, their posts go through without review by list mods.
Thus, when an email seems to come from a trusted member, if it is the
result of a hijacked contact list it can indeed be a problem.

Let us hope you don't click on one of the bad links and find your
account becoming a vehicle for this sort of thing.

David

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 09:00, <techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:
> From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>

> Often I will provide both the original link and a "tinyurl" so the person knows what the source
> is, but I guess I'm just silly enough to think if an email is posted to a moderated list, that the
> link is likely harmless.
>
> :)  Dana W.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/