RE: RE: Strategies for handling multiple e-mail systems and accounts?

Subject: RE: RE: Strategies for handling multiple e-mail systems and accounts?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:47:56 -0800

When you register a domain, you assign a hosting provider (most commonly, people register through a provider and the provider assigns itself). If you change hosting providers, most will transfer your domain to them at no charge or a very small charge to get your business. If you just change internet providers you don't change anything, because your mail client points to the domain living on the hosting provider's servers and just uses the internet access account to get to the domain.

All my email addresses (plus my wife's and various others who have email through me) are <something>@genek.com, and each email has its own POP account and login. I think the limit on my plan is 50 accounts, and I'm nowhere near the limit.

I don't use an IMAP server, just plain old POP. One system is my "master reader," and it deletes emails from the server as it downloads them. All the others are configured to leave mail on server until the master system deletes them (I have no need to be able to access old mail from multiple locations).

Gene Kim-Eng