Re: Saving docs in Word 2003

Subject: Re: Saving docs in Word 2003
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 08:39:06 -0400

On Jul 18, 2010, at 7:42 AM, Deborah Hemstreet wrote:
> I've run into a perplexing issue. If I enter a TEXT title in the document properties and save the document, that title is applied to the document.
>
> However, if I enter a number with dashes in it, the title only picks up the first three characters.
>
> So, I guess I need to make a macro. How would I make a macro that saves a document based on the Title Dcoument properly PLUS, for example, the Comments document property?
>
> Any ideas? Or other work around?

Warning: the following response is not helpful.

It seems to be deliberate behavior on Microsoft's part that *any* punctuation causes the title to break when it's used as the suggested file name... maybe as an overly-restrictive way to block invalid characters that the OS wouldn't like? (Although since hyphens are valid, it's a clumsy solution. So maybe there's another reason.)

Interestingly, Word 2008 for Mac demonstrates the behavior you described (cutting off the name at the first dash). But if the numeric string has en dashes instead of hyphens, Word picks up the entire string for the file name. However, that workaround doesn't work for Windows.

So I have no workaround, but I'm replying in the hopes that someone can jump in and say why Microsoft does this, and why it should behave the same, but with workarounds, on the Mac version. Because now it's bugging me.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/