Re: What sort of experience would be better?

Subject: Re: What sort of experience would be better?
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Jimmy Breck-McKye <jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:18:47 -0700 (PDT)

I see I've made a bit of a cock-up of my reply; I didn't see the poster's email address.

So, the remark about a trip to England is pointless.  But thoughts about finances are relevant.  12 weeks of living out of pocket is not an inconsiderable drain on your savings.  And if you choose the internship, who knows how  long it will take to get another paying offer?

Another thing to consider:  other potential employers will be concerned about your performance on the job, and will, I think, be more likely to listen to the opinions of your first employer if that is a commercial company rather than a charity.  People tend to accept the opinions of those whose background is closer to their own.  Companies tend to place more credence on input from other companies that are closer to their own nature.  I think, for example, a bank is more likely to accept a good report on you from another  bank than from a charity organization.

http://www.doctohelp.com

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/