Re: Manual Project

Subject: Re: Manual Project
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: schmittl -at- students -dot- westerntc -dot- edu, "" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:24:22 -0500

Several points to consider here:

Without a business plan or access to historical documents, you will be
operating at an extreme disadvantage. If you have really good background
information as you indicated, you can mitigate this to some degree, but you
still run the risk of inaccuracies.

Useful P&P docs require a thorough knowledge of current and ideal state
workflows/processes. To do this effectively you should embark on a process
analysis project first. If you can't get face time with the owner, can you
get some time with any of the staff? Finding out what they really do,
versus what the owner thinks they do can be ... extremely enlightening....

Visit some of the document template sites (DocStoc comes to mind), and
search for policy and procedures and related terms. Chances are, you'll
run across some good ideas to get started. Develop a google search that
includes policy, procedures, operations, templates and janitorial or dry
cleaning (Spotless Cleaning could be either, so I guessed) to enhance your
results, and then develop a template that incoporates what you've found out
through your background infor, research and--if at all possible--interviews
with the owner and staff.

Any company in business for 40 years must be doing something right, so it
should become a great case study. Good luck!

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney