Re: Structure of User-Authored Content vs Traditional Online Help

Subject: Re: Structure of User-Authored Content vs Traditional Online Help
From: Jim Shaeffer <jlshaeffer -at- aol -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:02:52 -0400

The Theory of Mavens (as expounded by another tech writer, not me) explains much.

You, as a maven, read and study the authoritative original sources.

Most people ask around until they find a maven like you.

The Tech Writer should understand that he/she is writing for the mavens, not for the majority.
The majority are covered by the phrase "nobody reads the documentation."

(I am paraphrasing someone who may be on this list, or on HATT, but my searches are not finding the source.)

The new trend of crowd-sourcing adds more dimensions to "asking around."

Jim Shaeffer