Standard Fonts for Technical Documentation

Subject: Standard Fonts for Technical Documentation
From: "Chantel Brathwaite" <brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:18:50 -0400

Hi -

Does anyone happen to know if there are standard fonts that are used in
technical documentation? I've always thought that fonts, for the most part,
are something that is part of a company's style guide, not necessarily a
commercial one. I didn't see an explicit mention in the AP or Chicago, I do
know that APA - which isn't really technical - has a standard for Times New
Roman, 10 or 12 point. I don't have a copy of Microsoft Manual of Style
available at the moment, but from my searches, I didn't seem to locate a
definitive answer. (I'm still searching though.)

A bit of background about the documents:

They will be technical manuals and white papers that will be either printed
out or converted to PDF. I'm familiar with web font recommendations for
accessibility - but this won't be converted to HTML so that information is
probably minimally helpful.

Any information concerning this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chantel Brathwaite
Technical Writer
Cole Engineering Services Inc.