RE: Rates

Subject: RE: Rates
From: "Robart, Kay" <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:12:26 -0500

If a company asks for a salary history in the job advertisement, I don't
apply for it. If it asks for one in an application when I go in for an
interview, I leave that space blank, even though I am sure that means
they won't hire me.

My father, who was a VP for a large company, told me years ago never to
provide a salary history. I agree the main purpose for it is to lowball
the salary as much as possible or to rule out a prospective employee who
has been paid better under the assumption that the person won't be happy
in a lower-paying job.

Kay