Re: Spaces after periods 'n such

Subject: Re: Spaces after periods 'n such
From: Brian Bertrand <bertran -dot- de -dot- st -dot- jean -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 05:36:38 -0400

Not to mention that in the most recent edition of most style manuals, single
space after the full stop is now the standard practice.

http://www.amazon.com/Xerox-Publishing-Standards-Manual-Design/dp/0823059642/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288334295&sr=1-1

> In it, you will find this sort of thing covered at some length IIRC.
>
> I would be quite interested if you can find any style guide that would
> support your approach on these matters.
>
> If your organization has a layout artist--perhaps in an outside agency
> that may prepare sales collateral--it is simple enough to bring up the
> topic and find out what these factors may look like from a
> professional standpoint. I would be interested if you find *any* who
> may agree with your approach.
>
> As I said before, this is a matter of the "eye of the beholder." I
> find that most folks today who stick with the "double space after
> periods" and such are mostly those who learned originally on a
> typewriter and for whom that simply became "natural". At 61, I
> obviously learned keyboarding on a typewriter--a manual one at
> that--but have long since moved on as I learned more about the most
> effective uses of typography.
>
> David
>

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 09:00, <techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
wrote:
>> From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
>> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:31:09 -0700
>> Subject: Re: Spaces after periods 'n such
>> On 10/28/2010 12:17 AM, David Neeley wrote:
>>>
>>> It always astounds me that there are still questions among
>>> professional writers regarding spaces following periods and other
>>> stops.
>>
>> It is always amazing when this discussion comes around every couple of
years and the same arguments are raised and the same disagreements arise.

>>> Today, with typewriters mostly confined to museums, most type is
>>> proportional. The width designed into the fonts used makes a double
>>> space after a period far too open.
>>
>> I still like that visual break between sentences.
>>
>>> The only place where you should consider using a double space after a
>>> period is in the rare instance in which you might be actually writing
>>> text in a monospaced font--for the same reason it was used in
>>> typewritten text for all those years.
>>
>> What about for people who receive text-only emails and do not care for
the variable width fonts when viewing text-only emails?

>>> If you look at proportional text with double spaces at an angle, you
>>> can easily notice "rivers" of white space running through it from the
>>> extra spacing. When you do this, it becomes a bit jarring to the eye,
>>> in fact.
>>
>> Your eye, perhaps. I am reading your email in a mono-spaced, text-only
font because the variable width fonts cause my eyes too much strain.

>>> However, the single take-away here is a simple rule for the most
>>> effective appearance of your work: when using a proportional font,
>>> single space after periods.
>>
>> I use double-space.
>>
>>> (When editing someone else's work, one of my first activities is to do
>>> a search and replace for all double spaces after periods, replacing
>>> them with single spaces. It's surprising, too, how many people
>>> actually mix the two up in the same piece.)
>>
>> Funny. I search and replace all of the single spaces with double, unless
there is a controlling style guide or format requirements that state
otherwise. Let's work together! ;-)

>>> As for "looking funny"--that is usually, if not universally, a problem
>>> with the eye of the beholder.
>>
>> Does this font make me look funny?
>>
>> Lauren

> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.

http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/bertran.de.st.jean%40gmail.com

http://www.doctohelp.com