Re: Has anyone ever written the user guide before the product was developed (coded)?

Subject: Re: Has anyone ever written the user guide before the product was developed (coded)?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:03:26 -0500

On 11/12/2010 03:44 PM, John G wrote:
> I did this once many years ago and it worked out very well. It was a
> desperation move by the product manager to save an off-the-track project,
> but it worked. I wanted to do it again but they said it was too unorthodox a
> development methodology.
>
> If you can finagle your way into the spec-writing side of things, it's very
> similar and you end up with a darned good spec that lends itself nicely to
> creating a great set of docs.

Ditto.

The major problem is finding out about the project before they come to
you six weeks before FCS and demand docs for something that was kept
secret from you. Or if you're contracting, something they brought you in
to write about after they found the customers don't like the cryptic
notes from the developer, or the clunky interface with the
incomprehensible buttons.

Why am I such a good cynic? Is it something I ate?

http://www.doctohelp.com