Re: Subject: Re: New doc group: FrameMaker or Flare?

Subject: Re: Subject: Re: New doc group: FrameMaker or Flare?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:11:56 -0500

You're always going to find someone using a hammer as a crowbar, a
screwdriver as a chisel, and a wrench as a hammer. FrameMaker isn't
conducive to idiocy. Whatever tool you implement, train your team
well, have solid templates with limited styles in place, a solid style
guide, and a solid set of rules on formatting. If someone goes
override crazy, ding them on it. If they do it again, ding them hard
and have it appear on their review as a needed improvement. Why?
They're causing needless rework; that is, they're not a productive
member of the team until they clean up their act.

What damage they could inflict in FrameMaker is no different from what
they could do in Word, Flare, or any other (unstructured) tool. And if
the overrides they employ cause workflow/time/effort issues, that's a
performance issue, not a tools issue, to correct.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com