Word 2007 - Character Styles: How do I clear a single instance?

Subject: Word 2007 - Character Styles: How do I clear a single instance?
From: Tracey Bean <traceybean -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:34:06 -0500

Hi all --

Oh, but I'm feeling like a dunderhead right now. I have long avoided
using character styles in Word, but thought I'd give them a whirl now
that I'm checking out Word 2007.

I have created a few character styles. I have applied them. Sometimes
in the wrong place.

Question: How does one *remove* a character style once it is applied?
It seems like it ought to be simple. Shouldn't it? But I am, as it
were, feeling a bit dunderheaded, and...

I've searched the Word help, I've googled. I've used search terms
including different combinations of "unapply", "clear" "remove",
"character style", "character format", "style". I've looked up "how to
apply a format" in case that topic might include how to "unapply" said
format. To no avail.

What I did find was a topic in help for Word 2004 (Mac) that tells me
to use the Replace command to find the instance of the format, then
replace it with "None". Really? That's the only way to do it? (Oh, and
when I tried to do that, it deleted the text in addition to the
misbegotten character format.)

I also found out how to clear all applications of a character style in
a document, but I only want to remove some of them, not all of them.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Tracey

http://www.doctohelp.com