Re: need advice - writing wiki Help for web app

Subject: Re: need advice - writing wiki Help for web app
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:01:52 -0500

Hi Monique

The main rule to follow is Help should include whatever the user needs to
do their job using the product you're documenting. Screen shots, links to
demos, straight text, drill-down diagrams, I've seen and built a huge
variety of things for help systems over the years.

As Bill noted sequence does matter, it just doesn't happen in a mono-linear
fashion. Processes and procedures branch and merge constantly with a wide
variety of conditions possible, so some audience analysis is key to
designing the major paths that most users would follow. Procedural
information is incredibly important to newbies, to describe new
functionality, and to support users with performing infrequently used or
complex functions.

Consider using a mind-mapping tool to identify all the topics, procedures,
concepts and relationships you'll need. Then prioritize development so you
have a timeline to work towards. You may find that your landing page needs
both graphical and textual references and links to individual topic areas.
Audience analysis, and a lot of time spent on planning the design of the
help system are two of the most important things you can do to make the
development easier and more successful

Each wiki tool is different, and I'm used to building in Confluence, so
from the specific tool perspective, I won't be able to offer any assistance
there. But feel free to contact me offline if you need more feedback from
the structural design perspective. Good luck!

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney