Re: Coaching less experienced folks on asking good questions

Subject: Re: Coaching less experienced folks on asking good questions
From: Phil <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L list <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:24:42 +0700

You prove my point Richard. You assume the questioner is at fault for asking the question ('lazy', 'disrespectful', 'not worth being given an answer'). This is precisely the attitude that companies used to have about consumers who couldn't understand their documentation ('user's fault'). They had to learn otherwise.

Your assumption that they know how to learn is not consistent with the given condition that they are new and inexperienced. If we treat new colleagues with a bit of support, they'll both learn and learn how to learn for themselves. In most cases, they'll appreciate that help and give it back when they are experts in their community of practice to other newcomers enter the field. And so develops a supporting and creative team environment.

Best

Phil

http://www.doctohelp.com