Re: Coaching less experienced folks on asking good questions

Subject: Re: Coaching less experienced folks on asking good questions
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Phil <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:49:26 -0800

Hi Phil,

I think you just hit one of my buttons, which is people posting about
ideal-world conditions without prefacing it with something like "in an
ideal world..." to let people know that they're aware that what
they're about to say is unlikely to happen anywhere in the real world.
The result of one or two too many experiences breaking in newbies who
were never told that during their education and pre-OTJ training.

Yes, acknowledging the real world is not the same as discussing
ideals, but discussing ideals without acknowledging the real world is
just setting people up for failure and frustration.

Gene

http://www.doctohelp.com