RE: Using photographs in documentation

Subject: RE: Using photographs in documentation
From: Jimmy Breck-McKye <jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: <rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 20:20:51 +0000

Hello Bobbi,
PNG format is supported in most browsers. The only real issue with PNG is when you use transparency, which can look strange with old browsers (specifically, Internet Explorer 6). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers#Image_format_support for a table of browsers and their image format support.
I do not recommend JPEG / JPG for any application where precision is an issue. JPEGs are smudgy, and resaving a JPEG after editing further degrades it. PNGs, on the other hand, are 'lossless' - meaning they are as high-quality as the source. I also avoid TIFF and BMP, other common image formats. Few browsers display TIFFs, and BMPs have large filesizes / download times.
If the electronic format is a PDF, I also suggest checking your PDF creator's image quality settings. Set to a high DPI (at least 360).
Finally, the above is all for naught if the photographs are taken poorly - though I'm sure this is hardly new to you.
Happy snapping!

http://www.doctohelp.com