Database for questions and answers?

Subject: Database for questions and answers?
From: "DWerder -at- t-online -dot- de" <DWerder -at- t-online -dot- de>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 17:54:57 +0200

Dear colleagues,

Maybe you have come across a similar problem and found a good answer: In
my technical writing and translation projects I frequently send lists of
questions concerning a software or a section of text I reviewed. In the
past, I have usually created Word tables which I sent to the client

Sometimes I discuss these lists with the client on the telephone,
sometimes they send me answers in writing. In other cases (mainly when I
work onsite at the client's), I discuss the issues in a personal
meeting.

Usually, I enter the replies I get into the table. Nevertheless I have
found this method insufficient for my needs. It is difficult to keep an
overview when the information is spread over several files.

What I would like to find is a database tool that is simple to use and

** allows me to sort all questions and answers according to the desired
database fields.

** Also, a full-text search would be a requirement.

** In addtion, it would be important to display the new questions and
answers in table format and e-mail them to the client.

Examples of fields I would like to include are:

No | Page No | Dialog box | Question | Answer | To do | Responsible |
Status

I do not want any web-based tools. If available, I would prefer a
portable application, as I often work in different places. I am
considering to use a bug-tracker but I have no experience with these
tools and I do not know whether they would be suitable for this purpose.

Maybe it would be better to use a knowledge base system? They have a
slightly different focus, though.

Has anyone of you heard of such a magic piece of software?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Greetings form Germany

Doris Werder
State-certified translator and technical writer
Member of BDÜ and tekom

Doris Werder * technical writing and translations
IT * Electronics * Politics
English > German * German > English * Spanish > German
Jahnstraße 8
63450 Hanau
+49 (0)6181 160431
Fax: 03222 244 688 6