A few resources for finding your next gig...and living as a contractor/freelance

Subject: A few resources for finding your next gig...and living as a contractor/freelance
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:02:42 +0300

I have been reviewing the various sites I have in my RSS feed reader, and I thought I'd mention a few of them which seem relevant here. There are a few which list long-term employment (either direct hire or contract) and many others that may include some project listings for those who are already contractors, remote freelance writers, or even those "between gigs" who could use some projects before longer-term things present themselves. (Plus, of course, the occasional temporary project may wind up building relationships leading to longer-term engagement after you deliver a bit of the Wow! factor.) There are also some which deal with the many aspects of freelance life--running your own business and all that is associated with it. Thus, a few of these links (with the regular disclaimer, I have no connection with any of them other than reading their posts through my own RSS reader):

PoeWar. This one contains job listings occasionally, including more specific tech writer posts than other blogs I've seen. However, this is largely a repost of lists obtained from www.indeed.com so you can also go there directly. He does deal with many aspects of freelance writing of all sorts. For instance, here is a post dealing with querying publications with article ideas: http://www.poewar.com/know-it-or-blow-it-querying-a-publication/

Freelance writing jobs blog: many listings for all kinds of freelance writing and editing, including some techwriting specifics. Also some pointers that may be useful. http://www.freelancewritinggigs.com/

Freelance Switch: this one does a good job of dealing with the many crucial details about running a successful freelance writing business--client relationships, collecting money, working efficiently, etc. A typical recent post on friends as clients: http://freelanceswitch.com/clients/navigating-the-pitfals-of-a-client-friend-relationship

Others that are worth checking out for general freelancing advice include:

* Freelance Folder: http://freelancefolder.com/
* Freelance Zone: http://freelance-zone.com <http://freelance-zone.com/>

Next, a few that deal more with improving our writing:

* Daily Writing Tips: an excellent one to take a few moments and
become aware of some of our personal writing ideosynchrasities
that may be improved: http://www.dailywritingtips.com
<http://www.dailywritingtips.com/>
* Men With Pens: (Also deals with the writing life, among other
things...and by the way, the chief "Man" is actually a woman!)
http://menwithpens.ca
<http://menwithpens.ca/>
* Magical Words: http://www.magicalwords.net
<http://www.magicalwords.net/>

Obviously, there are many resources for writers out there. These happen to all be ones I have found worthwhile often enough to continue monitoring what they have to say. There's always room for a few new tricks for this old dog!

I hope one or more of these may prove helpful.

David

http://www.doctohelp.com