RE: Advice on starting out; dealing with employers

Subject: RE: Advice on starting out; dealing with employers
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:51:01 -0700

Dan Goldstein wrote:

> I'm no expert on learning and reading disabilities, but CogniBeat (an
> advocacy site for parents of dyslexic children) says: "Double-spacing
> after periods has the effect of creating vertical rivers of white space
> within the text. This so-called 'river effect' makes it hard for a
> dyslexic reader to find where sentences start and end. Single-spacing
> after periods, on the other hand, offers just the right amount of space
> between sentences."
>
> On the other hand, the W3C guidelines recommend the exact opposite.
>
> Anyone know of a research reference for this question? Usability for
> dyslexic readers is a serious issue in our line of work, and it would be
> good to have a recent reference point.

Barring any evidence to the contrary, I'd go with the advice of an organization advocating for the dyslexic over some old fuddy-duddy at W3C. But then, I'm firmly in the one-space camp. :-)

I'm curious, though, about that W3C guideline (but not curious enough to go looking for it -- heh!). As Tony noted, all white space is collapsed in HTML. Is W3C recommending the insertion of non-breaking spaces, or what?

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom