RE: Learning HTML

Subject: RE: Learning HTML
From: Jimmy Breck-McKye <jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 17:11:28 +0000

Hello Toni,

If you intend to learn HTML, I would also recommend learning CSS. HTML on its own doesn't give you that much power over (easily) controlling complex layouts and formatting. CSS, however, gives you an awful lot more control.

In CSS, you define individual styles and a set of formatting rules in a 'stylesheet', linked to the document. You can link several documents to the stylesheet for consistent formatting, and reformat them all in an instant by simply redefining the single style rule. This is far better than the HTML equivalent, where you have to hunt down rogue bits of formatting in *every* document.

If you're interested, there are scores of CSS tutorials out there. But I personally recommend buying or borrowing a copy of "CSS Web Design for Dummies". It's a well-printed book and you should be able to find one at any largish library.

http://www.doctohelp.com