Subject: Techwr-l Weekly Recap
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 11:06:50 -0500

[This is our first weekly update.  They’ll normally come out on Fridays and will cover what has been happening with the community.  We’re trying to find a good balance between sharing our progress and not inundating everyone with frequent emails.  As of now, a weekly recap seems like the best option.  Thoughts?]

Summary

Techwr-l.com has had a big week.  Our new website design (version 2.5 for those of you playing at home) has hit a steady state, we published our first article in some time, and Connie and I got to do a little planning at the STC Summit.

For now, our revised site design is complete.  Changes to the site include a revised layout, new navigation bar, integration to our Facebook Page (http://facebook.com/techwriterlist) and Twitter Account (http://twiter.com/techwritertoday), and enabled comments for articles and blogs.  A number of changes occurred under the hood so it will load a lot faster.

We have another round of updates planned for the next three months.  The upcoming changes will include looking into integrating the email list with the website, adding more capabilities for our bloggers, and more ways for readers to comment and review our content.  The pace of change over the next few months will be slower than the last six weeks so we can turn our attention to the content on the website.

The publishing of Geoff Hart’s Taking Advantage of Social Media article marks the return of Techwr-l as a publisher of technology communication articles.  We are committed to producing one new article and republishing a classic article once a week.  This, combined with a weekly poll question and intermittent blog posts, will bring the site alive and provide fodder for more diverse discussions for the community.

Our goal is simple:  we want to be the best online magazine for Technical Writers so we can drive great discussions. Period.  Full Stop.   Insert one, two or three spaces after that last point.

To do this, we need a lot of help from you folks.  We’re looking to build a team of authors to help us become a dynamic, innovative and interesting magazine.  Are you interested?  Please email Connie – connie -at- inktopia -dot- net.

The decision to start publishing and our agreement on our goals were all cemented last week when Connie and I finally got to see each other at the STC Summit.  In between Techwr-l booth sitting, meeting Whirlers, current and potential sponsors and walking miles to and from the hotel, we got to do a lot of planning for the next year.

We’ll share more next week on our yearlong plan and editorial calendar.  For now, we invite your feedback and thank you for being part of the Techwr-l.com community.

Upcoming events & Articles

* 1hr Free Webinar on VIU’s Technical Communication Online Certificate Program (May 25 @ 11am Pacific) - http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/webreg.asp

            * Geoff Hart’s Taking Advantage of Social Media: Part II.  Missed Part I?  No problem: http://goo.gl/oqs3T

** Sponsor Luv **

We want to send a very special “thank you” to sponsors.  Without them, we couldn’t do that voodoo that we do.  Our humble request is to keep them in mind when you’re making purchasing or joining decisions.  And then buy two of each. ;)

Platinum: Adobe, Madcap, ComponentOne

Gold: EC Software, The Society for Technical Communicators (new)

Silver: Vancouver Island University