Re: Indexing Dilemma

Subject: Re: Indexing Dilemma
From: Chantel Brathwaite <brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 15:09:39 -0400

Nancy,

I agree that they could be kept separate.

But you could cross reference at least two of them in other places and combine them there. For example

Thingie 5000
power cable, see power cable for Thingie 5000
power supplies, see power supplies accepted by Thingie 5000

I'm assuming that the Thingie 5000 is just one of several pieces of equipment that you are documenting and that the power on/off button and power supply connector might be connected to other subcomponents of a larger system and not the Thingie 5000. If all of these are related to the Thingie 5000 and the Thingie 5000 is not the only piece of equipment documented in your manual - it would seem to make sense to group them under the Thingie 5000 header and also cross reference them.

Chantel

On 5/23/2011 2:51 PM, Nancy Allison wrote:

Currently, these items appear in the index of my manual:

power cable for Thingie 5000 2-4
power On/Off button, location of 2-7
power supplies accepted by Thingie 5000 2-8
power supply connector, location of, 2-9

I think that these four entries are so different that there is no logically acceptable way to combine them, even though they all begin with the same word.
For example, "power cable" is a two-word, distinct noun, while "power supply connector" is a distinct, three-word noun. I don't think those two can acceptably be combined as

power
cable for bell, 2-4
supply connector, location of

I think all four have to stand alone. Do you agree, or would you handle them differently?

--Nancy

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/brathwaitec%40castupgrade.com

Chantel Brathwaite
Technical Writer
Cole Engineering Services Inc.
Web: http://www.coleengineering.com
Email: Chantel -dot- Brathwaite -at- coleengineering -dot- com
Phone: 407-207-1773 ext. 4138

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as admin -at- inktopia -dot- net -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/admin%40inktopia.net