Looking for cost-effective online help solution

Subject: Looking for cost-effective online help solution
From: Eric Ray <ericjray -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:23:50 -0600

All,

I'm with a small startup that has some online help requirements (but they're
pretty minimal). The product is an add-in for Microsoft Word that provides
some additional capabilities for the legal industry.

(And yes, I've been out of the business for quite a while, so probably
need to be educated--please feel free to help.)

We'd like to have a conventional help system (likely fewer
than 50 topics) that we'd integrate into the Word help menu
(2003, 2007, and 2010). Context-sensitive help would likely be overkill
(probably we'll have a total of fewer than 10 dialog boxes that might
merit help, and likely no need for embedded help).
The ability to single source to the Web/online help/PDF docs would be
good. Publishing the online help on the Web, or seamlessly linking
to it, would be nice.

Given both startup budgets and the very small scale of online help we'd need,
rationalizing several hundred dollars for a product that would be used
for a few days, then not again for some amount of time, is rather challenging.

I just reviewed the recent thread on HATT on this topic, and obviously
did my homework with Google, WritersUA, and other known sources,
but am really not finding much as far as satisfactory answers (either
informative or what I want to hear).

We're happy to spend the money if there's a clear win, but my perception
in reviewing many of the vendor sites is that we have a golden opportunity
to buy a Mack truck to haul one wheelbarrow of information around the
back yard. I want a wheelbarrow, or slightly more.

Requirements:
Cannot be a solution requiring hosting or a Windows-based server.

Wishes
Should support single-sourcing/reuse to a reasonable extent.

Suggestions?
Eric

http://www.doctohelp.com