Re: Lots of figures and diagrams

Subject: Re: Lots of figures and diagrams
From: Deborah Hemstreet <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 12:15:19 +0300

Hi Tanya,

If you are able to do this on the Mac, I strongly recommend the following:

1. Do NOT embed any graphics or media.
2. DO Link all graphics/media.
3. Edit outside of Word in your professional tool, whatever it is.
4. When done, save the final graphic as, for example a clearly named .jpg in a folder WITH the Word document.
5. When you insert the picture in Word, LINK it.
6. Any edits will then be easy. Simply edit outside of Word, save the edited figure in the same folder with the same name.
7. Inside Word, locate the picture, select and press F9 for update. The picture is updated, weight of document is reduced, and you do not have to fiddle with editing the graphic in an unprofessional manner inside of Word.

I have used this method for over 10 years in hundreds of documents, some quite large and long. Initially it sounds awkward, but once you begin working this way, it goes very quickly and provides you full control over your graphics.

I hope this is helpful.

Deborah

*
*

*
<http://deborah.hemstreet.googlepages.com/home>*

On 05/31/2011 10:44 PM, Tanya Spackman wrote:

All,

I write for the government, which means MS Word is pretty much my world,
with occasional (though rare) ventures into the Adobe Suite. Thus, most of
my experience is just using the MS Office tools. However, one of our
software architects asked me the following question, and I don't know the
answer. Any suggestions?

"I find myself running into the limitations of Microsoft Word (2011 edition
for that Mac) with respect to embedded drawings. The built-in drawing tools
seem quite inadequate and embedding Visio diagrams that I can't edit
in-place is frustrating. What suite of tools do you recommend for technical
documentation that includes quantities of embedded figures and diagrams?"

Thoughts?

Tanya

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/dvora%40tech-challenged.com

http://www.doctohelp.com