RE: Web-based docs and help (from JavaHelp perhaps?)

Subject: RE: Web-based docs and help (from JavaHelp perhaps?)
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:48:50 -0400

We can all tell you our "current thinking," but it doesn't mean doodly
compared with your customers' current thinking. Of course, it's easier
to get our opinion than to get your customers'... But we do know that
they've received both printed manuals and onscreen PDFs in the past. It
would be great if you could at least informally survey them as to which
format they prefer.

Either way, a lot of us think that for onscreen Help, PDFs are a lousy
choice. This has to do with indexing and searching, linear vs.
non-linear presentation, etc. The HATT archives are a good source for
this information. PDF is good for printing and lousy for onscreen Help;
HTML is lousy for printing and good for onscreen Help.

And one more thought: When a company sends me a PDF file and
_suggests_that_I_print_it (yes, I've really seen this!), I know they're
incredibly cheap. So I assume they also skimp on things like developer
skills, support staff, etc.