RE: Creating a template with locked

Subject: RE: Creating a template with locked
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:13:04 -0500

Absolutely agree with Mike's statement - use Acrobat. It's the best way to manage this process. And there is no excuse for them to NOT have Acrobat Reader X - it's FREE. Go to management and make sure you have their buy-in (and the I.T. dept).

To be more specific on what Mike wrote, publish the files as a SHARED review. Each reviewer can access the file and make their own and respond to other people's comments. They can attach files. Then they just click the little yellow PUBLISH COMMENTS button in the upper right and they're done. They can come back at any time and make more comments.

NOTE: make sure you go over this with them and EMPHASIZE that they need to click that PUBLISH COMMENTS button... they're engineers, after all, and can be a bit thick about certain things. I've showed them how to do it, each time I send out the review I remind them exactly how to do it, and still there's one engineer now and then who fails to follow that simple step. (I've got one who refuses to upgrade from Acrobat 6 because he just doesn't want to, and nobody will make him, so he can't participate in the shared reviews.)

Schedule a lunch-and-learn with the engineers - get a manager to buy pizza, etc. - and show them how the shared review works. Then there's no excuse for them not to use it going forward.

-Carla