RE: Tips on how to talk to SMEs

Subject: RE: Tips on how to talk to SMEs
From: "Weissman, Jessica" <WeissmanJ -at- abacustech -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:36:27 -0400

Bribery can work as an atmosphere-setter, depending on the SMEs and the project culture. When I had to create an API where the SMEs were a bunch of programmers half my age, I bought a fifty-dollar box of random goodies from Archie McPhee.

I gave the first guy who helped me his pick from the box, and it was something really nice. I asked him to write an email describing his prize. After that I had guys running to answer my questions. Even when the toys ran out they were in the habit of answering.

They could have easily bought their own toys, so it was all a charade. But it worked. It helped that I only bothered them after finding out as much as possible on my own, and that I went to some of their happy hours.

Treat the SMEs like humans, show them that you're human, and they tend to act like humans to you.

Or maybe I was just lucky.

- Jessica

http://www.doctohelp.com