Re: "aka" - commonly understood ?

Subject: Re: "aka" - commonly understood ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:34:38 -0700

That does not make sense. All of the variants mean the same thing, "also known as." AKA typically refers to an alias, what does your office think it means? If it is in reference to an alias, then the acronym is being properly used and should not be "abandoned."

Yes, everyone at the office knows that AKA and its variants mean "also known as". My question, though, was whether readers who encountered the term "aka" would know that "aka" was short for "also known as".

So some people (I consulted this list and the STC Lone Writers list) said "yes, readers will know," others said "beware of localization issues," and others said "lots of readers won't know what 'aka' means."

So whether it's officially a proper usage is beside the point of whether it *might* confuse readers. So I'm not going to use the term "aka".

-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com