Re: Acrobat X Commenting

Subject: Re: Acrobat X Commenting
From: wendy_lewis -at- goodyear -dot- com
To: "I.m. Able" <imable2010 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:56:29 -0400

I.M., Thanks for commiserating with me. In versions 8 and 9 you had to
enable the file for commenting. Then, anyone with reader 8+ could use the
full set of commenting tools - lines, text boxes, arrows, etc. to comment
and save it.

In version 10 or X, there is no enabling because everyone can comment on
any pdf, with Reader X. But only with the sticky notes and highlighting.

To use the full comment toolset, you must get a cloud account with Adobe
(free?) and so must ALL reviewers. Share the file or send for commenting,
or whatever they call it - it's cloud server stuff. I'm not lovin it.

From: "I.m. Able" <imable2010 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: 07/20/2011 06:20 PM
Sent by:

Wendy wrote:

> Is anyone else pissed about Adobe removing most of the commenting
ability
> from acrobat x ? It's taken me a few days of half hearted searching to
figure
> this out. But, anyone can comment on any pdf with sticky notes and
highlighting.

Yes, me! I did a review last month where all the engineers were able to
comment using the free version of Adobe Reader X. I thought it was too
good to be true -- one could comment on ANY PDF, whether it was saved as a
"PDF for review" or not -- but I didn't expect that all the features to go
away. It makes sense that they want someone to pay for the ability to
make a commentable PDF, otherwise no one would buy Acrobat or pay for the
cloud services.

Today I was working on a documentation plan and was trying to describe the
review process for RoboHelp HTML. I tried a test and was shocked that
basically all you can do now is hightlight and insert a comment bubble.
That's not going to work. Fortunately I can output a Word document with
RoboHelp and have them use Word's review features, but I wanted to start
using PDF reviews for everything.

It's not your imagination. It disappeared.

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as wendy_lewis -at- goodyear -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/wendy_lewis%40goodyear.com

http://www.doctohelp.com