PPT and bullets (was: non-parallelism - looking for the ok to let it go...)

Subject: PPT and bullets (was: non-parallelism - looking for the ok to let it go...)
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:35:30 -0700

None of us go to a presentation just to see the PowerPoint. Otherwise, you could just send the slides and skip the presentation. Having lots of bulleted lists -- and inflicting those on the audience by reading them -- is a sure recipe for boredom faster than you can suppress a big yawn. Hopefully, the presenter adds a lot of value and a lot of elaboration to the slides, and reading them is almost nil. A technical audience may offer some leeway, but one of the useful rules of thumb that I've seen is that if a slide cannot be grasped in about seven seconds or less, it probably needs a redesign.

As usual, our discussions on a topic veer into unexpected but excellent directions!

So I'm changing the thread topic and saying that this isn't really germane to my issue; let the bullet list bashing continue!

**

(And more info: I really don't care about their PPT deck because as I originally said, "So Iâve got a bundle of PPT âvertical block listâ smart art diagrams (really just nice graphics around two-level bullet lists) that the client really likes and *wants me to include in a Best Practices doc*."

(I'm not concerned with their PPT deck, and actually the deal is, this was never an actual presentation; my SMEs, who for this doc/subject are business folks not engineers, used PPT to create their first draft simply because they couldn't figure out how to make Word behave in terms of putting in graphics and text and dealing with anchors and the many layout options that Word has for inserting graphics! And then they finally decided/agreed that this whole doc would be better if they handed it over to me to put into the Word format I've been using for their more engineering-ish user docs :-).

-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com