RE: swapping monitors?

Subject: RE: swapping monitors?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:17:35 -0400

Shows-ta-go-ya how people have very different working styles.

Unlike some, my head does not contain everything. I use paper notes
rarely.

Mostly, I'm working with a word processor or HAT window open
(or both...) plus several e-mails, plus several Notepad instances,
plus several Windows Explorer windows (onto various locations in
my own PC, and a couple of servers), plus a couple of browsers
with each several tabs, plus some command-line console windows,
plus maybe a remote-desktop window to a test machine.

I want real estate.

When I'm standing 20 inches from the place where my two
1600x1200 displays touch, I can scan from edge to edge
of the two-display desktop without moving my head more
than about 15 degrees. Usually, I orient on the window
where I'm typing, and have the source (or notes) window
close enough that I can swivel just my eyes to that
secondary text, then let them center themselves, which
puts them back where I was watching what I'm typing.
Very little head movement needed.

I have to prompt myself to swivel various bits and
stare out the window now and then, to relax my eyes.

> In the past I had shoulder problems from ergonomically unsound work
> environments, and having to look sideways all the time doesn't seem
> like a good idea to me.

Nor is there any reason to, unless you had your nose
practically pressed to the display.

My old eyes can't focus that close, so there's no
danger of that, for me. Besides, I don't like it.
When I enter a Cinema and only the front three
rows are still available, I go back and get a
refund, vowing to return earlier for another
showing, to get a seat back far enough that I
don't need to swivel... yet not in the nosebleed
section.

-k
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com