RE: What would replace WebHelp?

Subject: RE: What would replace WebHelp?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: kafkascampi <kafkascampi -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:07:02 -0400

I'm surprised that Chrome 14 works with older WebHelp.
I tried a couple of product docsets from a couple of years ago (Flare 5-something or early 6, I'd guess), and it draws the frames but leaves them blank. That was yesterday afternoon, while I was composing the opening e-mail of this thread. Last year, from Spring through Fall, Chrome wasn't working with any static WebHelp.

When I use Chrome 14 to open the WebHelp output of my current projects (from Flare 7), it draws the frames and populates them with alacrity... not to mention aplomb.

I wonder if there could have been some particular setting that not everybody uses.

Are you creating yours to sit passively on a drive and be pulled as an arbitrary succession of files from the OS' file system, or is yours handled by a web server and served out like a website?

There was a dust-up last year about this. I'm not the only one - :)

Those who experienced the problem were publishing WebHelp to sit passively on CDs or on hard drives in local computers. Those who did not experience the problem were publishing their WebHelp to be actively served by Apache or other web server.

From: kafkascampi [mailto:kafkascampi -at- gmail -dot- com]

You made me race over to test my WebHelp on Chrome. It works for me, and I created my WebHelp using a down-level version of Flare (4.2). It also works on IE9, FF (7 this week!), and Safari.

But I do share your growing fears about futureproofing.

Chris

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com