Re: Job searching in this time of attrition....

Subject: Re: Job searching in this time of attrition....
From: M -dot- Vina-Baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com
To: Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 16:15:01 -0400

Hi, Bobby,

Thank you for posting your email this morning. Your honesty and eagerness
to ask for help is commendable. Lots of people would not do that, so
please give yourself some credit for reaching out.

As many others have already shared, the market is not great. My husband
has been looking for close to a year now, and although he is currently
employed, has found the job search and interviewing process to be grueling
and quite depressing. It has definitely affected his mood and I'm sure
that is evident in his interviews, etc.

I've been unemployed myself, at least twice, and it can be a killer on the
attitude, mood, etc. A few things I will recommend is to try to keep some
kind of daily schedule even though you're not working. Lack of schedule
can be torture and play with your mind when you're unemployed. Also, as
much as possible, record your daily accomplishments so you know you're
working toward your goal of securing employment.

If you don't already have a daily exercise plan in place, I would also
highly recommend implementing one right away. It will assist in reducing
your stress levels, boost your self-esteem, and get your endorphins
pumping!! It can be something as simple as walking around the block...
just get moving.

Also, something not typically discussed in a forum, but I feel is worth
mentioning, if you have any connection to a religious organization
(church, temple, etc) try to get more involved there. The volunteer work
might help boost you in a spiritual manner, which will undoubtedly help
you in your search.

Best of luck to you!

Kind regards,
Michelle

STRICTLY PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL.This email may contain confidential and
proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.

From:
Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To:
Date:
10/02/2011 03:06 PM
Subject:
Job searching in this time of attrition....
Sent by:

Hi all,

I am in search of a new position in technical writing. I have had some
bad luck of late also. I have had 3 telephone interviews which I
consider a good thing. My skills and background in writing is good. It
tells me my resume is working. The only thing is I haven't had a bite as
yet for an offer.

I know my turn of bad luck has tainted my personality and I may not be
presenting myself well over the phone. And it has been a while since I
have done phone interviews or for that matter interviewing at all.

I have started a campaign of scouring indeed.com, linkdin, and other
resources. I have gone so far as to look at about.com for any material
to improve my presence as a job seeker. I got some great interview
question from the site that job interviewers might ask and answered
them. I have used them to get myself ready for more phone interviews.

Networking is one thing that I am working on right now. Linkdin is one
good source. I am signed up for twitter and facebook. In each I have
done a little posting of my searching for a position and hope that
someone will view them and forward me something.

Where is all this heading? I could use some help with any networking
sites or clubs I may have not heard. Any suggestions for further search
options.

As I said before, right now my personal bad luck has tainted my
personality and possibly how I am presenting myself. I am trying to get
a better look on things and hopefully I am making some progress.

I am in Southern California if that will help you in any way. Disneyland
is just a hop away.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Regards,

--
Bobby

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as M -dot- Vina-Baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/m.vina-baltsas%40mindray.com

http://www.doctohelp.com