RE: Help - my consultants cannot write!

Subject: RE: Help - my consultants cannot write!
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: 'Michael West' <mike -dot- west -at- bigpond -dot- com>, 'Edwin Skau' <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:18:30 +0000

By "different language," I thought Edwin was using "language" loosely to describe different modes of thinking. Some people "think" primarily kinesthetically; others are primarily visuospatial, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, and even social thinkers. Someone who is a genius at and very well educated in basketball may not be able to write a coherent paragraph. Similarly, someone who can write and even reason exceptionally well may not be able to do advanced mathematics well (and vice-versa). And then there is wisdom, which is apparently transcendent.

It is very, very rare for a person to be talented and educated in several modalities, and being unable to write well says something only about one's talent and education in humanities. It says nothing about the general quality of one's mind or even education. Steve Jobs pointed out, "People think focus means saying yes to the thing you've got to focus on. But that's not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully."

I take pride in my writing and education, and I have great respect for people who can do things that I can't, even if they can't write well (which is often the case). My goal as a writer is to make concepts and processes easily comprehensible to my readers, regardless of individual modes of thinking, and I can't see how feeling smug about my own particular set of talents could help me to do that well. And besides, if every well educated person could write well, I would be out of a job.

If there is a problem in our educational system, it isn't that it doesn't make good writers out of everyone. It is that each discipline lauds itself as the be-all and end-all of human endeavor.