Re: Help - my consultants cannot write!

Subject: Re: Help - my consultants cannot write!
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:28:10 -0700

I would expect a successful candidate to have some technical background or
training that is applicable to what he or she is applying to write about.
This wouldn't have to be specific to the industry - I have made laboratory
instrument and semiconductor fab equipment writers out of people with
experience field servicing Xerox copiers, for example - but anyone who
hasn't spent any time at all putting hands on some reasonably relevant tech
is going to be at a severe disadvantage in most circumstances I've worked
in.

I wouldn't expect a tech writer to be a grammarian either, but I would
expect a good one to be able to pull off a reasonable impersonation of one
when necessary to sell rewrites to SMEs and management ("I'm not a
grammarian, but I play one on TV").

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.doctohelp.com