RE: Synonym for "cycle through"

Subject: RE: Synonym for "cycle through"
From: "Weissman, Jessica" <WeissmanJ -at- abacustech -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:16:48 -0400

I am no longer sure whether screen shots in manuals are useful enough to be worth the trouble of creating them and keeping them up to date. If the reader is in front of the actual screen, the picture in the manual is redundant.

I can think of a few reasons screen shots mght be useful:

- to help readers be sure they're following directions for the right screen
- to help reviewers figure out whether the manual is correct and useful - reviewers usually look at the document in isolation, not in front of the app
- to make the manual more visually attractive

Manuals do look incomplete without the screen shots, but that may just be because we're used to seeing them.

Of course I may be smarting from having to update a whole bunch of screen shots because the developers changed the capitalization on two field labels that appear on a lot of screens. The sharp-eyed reviewer thought it was important enough for me to fix.

- Jessica

http://www.doctohelp.com