Re: STC certification program

Subject: Re: STC certification program
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:13:33 -0700

The first thought that struck me when I read this was that if an applicant's body of work is to be judged by people with no direct experience in the applicant's field, how will the quality be judged if the work consists of deeply technical content intended for users who have to have deep technical knowledge already in order to use it? After 20 years in the field, I could spend a year looking at the maintenance documents for the Large Hadron Collider or the Tianhe-1A without ever having a clue as to how well-organized or written they are.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynne Wright" <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>

So my skepticism about the STC certification lies in wondering how credible the assessment process is. WHO is going to make the assessments? A bunch of volunteers who will sift through applications in their spare time? Are they going to use their semi-objective opinions in concert with how cranky or benevolent they're feeling on any given day, or will they be given rigorous and quantifiable criteria to follow?

http://www.doctohelp.com