RE: STC certification program

Subject: RE: STC certification program
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 01:16:46 -0400

Dan Goldstein commented:

> I think it might be useful for a new TW just starting out.
>
> As for the rest of us: Please let me know the first time you hear of an
> experienced TW losing the competition for a new job to an equally
> qualified TW with an STC certification. I don't think this scenario is
> impossible, but I sure wouldn't toss money in the trash like that till
> it's happened a few times.

A new TW just starting out won't qualify to apply; the certification requires a combination of education and experience.

You won't hear about a candidate losing out to an equally qualified one who's certified for a while. You also haven't seen a job opening that says "STC certified preferred." But both will come.

I'd like to make two points. First, HR professionals tell us that certification is a "tiebreaker" both for selecting applicants to interview and for selecting candidates to hire. I don't know about you, but I need every edge I can get! Second, certification is a legally defensible reason to choose one candidate over another equally qualified candidate in a protected class. This is an incentive for employers to ask for certification, and for jobseekers to get it.

-- Steve

--
Steven Jong, Chairman
STC Certification Commission

mailto:SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net
mobile:978-413-2553

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
-- Margaret Mead

http://www.doctohelp.com